HOME ABOUT WEDDINGS EVENTS PORTRAITS OTHER PHOTOGRAPHY PRICES TESTIMONIALS BLOG CONTACT

Sunday 9 November 2008

splish, splash, flash, smartie pants!

Had a play with freezing motion this afternoon using my new flash unit. It worked OK for a 1st go I suppose. For anyone interested here is how I made this shot:

1. Put some red card on a table top
2. Made a crude black box with 3 A1 black boards with one at the back of the red card and one on the left and right of the card
3. Placed a wine glass full of water onto the red card
4. Placed my camera, a Canon 350D, on a tripod and attached my Canon 430EX II flash on top of the camera
5. I set the camera to M mode and dialled in a shutter speed of 1/125, an aperture of f/8 and ISO 100
6. I set the flash to ETTL (full auto) and angled the flash head so that it was pointing directly upwards so that the flash could be bounced off the ceiling
7. I set the camera 10 second timer, grabbed a handful of smarties (UK m&ms) and threw them at the glass as hard as I could when the camera took the photo

I had to repeat step 7 many times before I got it right!

Anyway, I had fun. I repeated the process but with a grape rather than Smarties and this was the result:

grape splash

I've entered the Smarties one in the AVForums monthly photo comp as the theme this month is flash. Wish me luck blog fans...

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you. It is a nice shot... and of course always great to do some experimentation.

    ReplyDelete